Why Subject Matter Experts are the Key to Production
What is the key to a successful life science video production? It’s your collaboration with your Subject Matter Expert and Crew. Satellite Films has best practices, both in pre-production, and on-set, for a winning video shoot with scientific content.
Before the Shoot
1) Planning and Pre-production: Start by defining your objectives, target audience, and key messages. Collaborate with your Subject Matter Expert to understand the subject matter and identify the core information to convey. The SME can be the actual speaker, or the person who is guiding the talent on set. Plan the script, shot list, and visual elements that align with your goals.
2) Selecting the Right Video Crew: Choose a video production team experienced in life sciences who understand the nuances and challenges of the industry. Look for professionals who have the technical expertise and creative vision to bring your ideas to life.
3) Engaging Subject Matter Experts: Your SME plays a crucial role in delivering accurate and compelling content. Encourage them to share their expertise, insights, and personal anecdotes to captivate your audience
On-Set Best Practices
1) Communication and Collaboration: Maintain open lines of communication with your video crew and SME throughout the shoot. Clearly communicate your vision, objectives, and expectations. Encourage collaboration and creativity to achieve the desired outcome.
2) Put Your SME at Ease: Some subject matter experts may not be accustomed to being in front of the camera. Create a comfortable and supportive environment to help them relax and deliver their expertise naturally.
3) Authenticity and Passion: Encourage your SME to share their passion for the subject matter. Authenticity and enthusiasm resonate with viewers, making the content more relatable and memorable. Capture genuine moments that reflect the dedication and expertise of your SME.
4) Visual Storytelling: Work closely with your video team to capture compelling visuals that complement the narrative. Utilize a variety of shots, angles, and compositions to engage viewers visually.
The collaboration between your video crew and subject matter expert is the key to creating impactful and engaging life sciences videos. By following these best practices and leveraging the expertise of your team, you can produce content that educates, inspires, and captivates your audience.